Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Turning a corner

On Monday I turn 60. That's a milestone no one wants to hit with no 401 k and no job. I am pretty bummed about it. I just see me as a Wallmart greeter or security guard until I drop over dead.
It reminds my of the song "Send in the Clowns," the line, "losing my timing this late in my career, there ought to be clowns".

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move.
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns.

Just when I'd stopped
Opening doors,
Finally knowing
The one that I wanted was yours,
Making my entrance again
With my usual flair,
Sure of my lines,
No one is there.

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want -
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Quick, send in the clowns.

What a surprise.
Who could foresee
I'd come to feel about you
What you'd felt about me?
Why only now when i see
That you'd drifted away?
What a surprise.
What a cliché.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother - they're here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it feels lonely and sad with an endless road ahead but it will turn. You joke about WalMart or a security job but just getting out there in any capacity is the key. My friend (previously a VP at a bank) was on a similar path as you and one day took a part time position at a bookstore just to fill some time and make a few bucks while maintaining his job search. He ended up enjoying the people and the work so much that he ultimately kept weekend hours at the store after he finally found work. No doubt times are tough and you have been kicked a few times but getting out there is healthy for you and sets a great example for your children about holding your head high and pushing forward through the storm. Good luck.